Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Transformation by Running & Music


Like many people I consider running sacred, but tonight was more about the mental soundtrack. Music is untouchable as a giant slice in my slivered pie-chart. Tonight after a lazy dark Golden Gate Part run I spent time with Amoeba Records on Haight Street. I'm studying all the "Best of 2008" lists and I don't want to miss out--I think of bands discovered much later, like CAN (how could I not know CAN?).

I listened to stacks of cd's and many, though good, didn't qualify for the dreamy strong state that matched the post-run high. A few, however grabbed me by the Asics and didn't let up.
Santogold-- is a must--this girl rocks it like the gutsy favorites Siouxie, Blondie and the singers with attitudes. Pluramon--new to me, but got my attention.
Once again I find that January is the time to plan to see live music---nothing like the local scene.
Last January i found myself finding great bands, and great upcoming shows. While Six Organs of Admittance completely knocked me back in 2008 (how can I NOT play bass. no, drums. no...) others were just a fun night out.
With the Eagle Tavern supporting Thursdays at $7 to drop in, and NoisePop coming up, SF is a good place to be.

1 comment:

  1. I love that Charlie Sexton is front and center at your record store! I saw him when I was 16 at gross little bar next door to the Wildcat House in Tucson. Delicious.

    Been hearing a lot about Santogold ("the possibly lesbo M.I.A.") and have to check her out!

    ReplyDelete